Financial Support

As mentioned above, you can get financial support from the government for your undergraduate studies. Here’s a rundown of the options you have, when it comes to funding your studies in the UK.

Student Loan

The government can fund both your tuition fees and living costs if you’re a home student. Who’s a home a student? You’re considered a home student if you’re from the UK or EU. A loan may appear to be a large amount. But if you’re eligible, why not go for it. It’s like paying tax in the future. And moreover, you only pay back the loan once you get a job and start earning.

Scholarships and Bursaries

If you don’t want to apply for student loans, you may opt for scholarships and bursaries. You can get such financial support from universities, educational trusts, companies, and charitable organisations. Bursaries and scholarships are awarded on merit, so be sure to sell yourself in the right way possible. You may excel in sports or a particular subject to convince sponsors, or your university, that indeed you need financial help for your undergraduate studies. As an international student, you may also apply for bursaries.


Interestingly, you may get a grant if you’re a UK resident, and you financially support other people, especially your family, or you’re on a low income. There are basically three types of dependants’ grants, namely Childcare Grant, Parent’s Learning Allowance (but this doesn’t apply to Scotland), and Adult Dependants Grant.

International Organisations

You can also get loans from international organisations, such as the United Nations and Fullbright Commission. The World Council of Churches, the Soros Foundation, AMIDEAST, and the World Health Organization may also grant you aid, regardless of where you come from.


It’s no guarantee that you’ll access student loans or any other type of financial support to aid your studies, especially if you’re not a resident of the United Kingdom. The biggest support still comes from your family and guardian. A study by the Institute of International Students (IIE) shows that about 65% of international students are funded by their parents. Speak to them in advance, and tell them what and where you want to learn.

Still not sure how to pay for university or how you’ll cope up even if you don’t have enough money? Visit the UCAS website to check a range of financial support available.